Lawn care isn’t just for the spring, a good fall lawn renovation is essential in helping your lawn not only survive through the winter but to thrive as well. So don’t give up on your lawn just yet, read on for a few of the essential tasks you may want to complete (or have completed by a professional) before winter comes.
- Apply a Lawn Fertilizer – The fall fertilizer is essential in restoring nutrients and encouraging root growth. A healthy lawn helps choke out the ability of weeds to grow so get a head start when springtime comes. Also, a properly fertilized lawn leading into winter can help your lawn green up even sooner come spring and who doesn’t love a nice green lawn!? If you’re using a fertilization company like our team at Envisioning Green then this step should already be included if you signed up for a full year’s program.
- Aerate and Overseed Your Lawn – In our opinion, every lawn could use this in the fall. Aeration helps with compacted soil which contributes to lack of earthworms and other decomposing organisms which in turn leads to the accumulation of thatch. Aeration removes cores of soil which allows much-needed nutrients, water, and oxygen to penetrate deeply into the roots of your lawn. Overseeding is great for filling in any bare spots in your lawn and compensates for the natural slow down of the lawn’s reproduction that happens during the cooler months. These services together help thicken up your lawn which will help strangle out any current and future weeds! An aerator can be rented at most local hardware rental places but the cost to do so (plus your time) can often exceed the cost of hiring a professional lawn company like us.
- Utilize Necessary Fall Lawn Renovation Treatments (i.e. Soil pH Testing/Lime Application, Dethatching, and Topdressing) – Each lawn is different and that means that, once the season is winding down, each lawn may need something different. There are several ways to tell which Fall Lawn Renovation Services you may need but the easiest way is to hire a professional. Still wanting to do it yourself? Read on about each treatment and look into what your lawn may need.
- Soil pH Testing/Lime Application – Is your lawn weedy, patchy, or turning yellow in spots? This may be a sign that the pH balance of your yard is out of whack.Lime application is a practice of applying an agent to reduce soil acidity (raise pH) and make soils more favorable for turf-grass growth. Soil pH affects turf-grass health by influencing availability of plant nutrients and other elements, thatch decomposition, some turf-grass pests, and pesticide activity. All this sounds great – however, if someone tells you that you need a “Lime Application” it is most likely not correct and cannot be known unless you have had a Scientific Soil Analysis & pH Test completed on your lawn. In fact, most of the lawns that we test do not even need Lime – a good potion of the lawns we have tested over the years need an application of Sulfur – not lime.
- Topdressing – Topdressing is the process of adding a thin layer of organic matter and the beneficial microorganisms of compost. It reduces lawn stresses, helps keep thatch under control, and acts as a long-term natural fertilizer. Topdressing regularly will also help smooth out bumps in your lawn and encourage a dense, lush lawn. To get the full effect of Topdressing, we always recommend that it be done at the same time as your lawn is aerated.
- De-thatching – De-thatching your lawn is a vital part of having a successful, green, weed-free lawn. At Lawn Dog we offer a healthier alternative to your lawn than standard mechanical De-Thatching, it is called, Liquid De Thatching. Liquid De Thatching focuses on composting thatch faster by encouraging microbial activity at the soil surface and increasing heat. This exothermic release by increased soil activity will breakdown thatch from the soil level up. Thatch is quickly reduced and the organic matter is captured as a food source for your turf. The initial application may yield a green-up flush as nutrients that were held in the thatch are released.
- Set up Next Year’s Lawn Care – Interested in using a professional lawn care company? Fall is a great time to get set up for next year’s lawn care. Many companies are running end of year specials and it will save you a headache once the busyness of spring strikes! If you’re already a Lawn Dog client, no fear, you’re already set up! If you have any questions, now’s a great time to talk to your Client Relationship Manager!
Having the best lawn in the neighborhood can take a lot of work but it doesn’t have to! By hiring a professional lawn care company like our team at Lawn Dog, you get to enjoy the fruits of the labor and still enjoy your weekends. Still want to do it yourself? No problem, follow our blog for more lawn care tips from the pros! Interested in your custom quote for lawn maintenance? Call us in the office today at 618-307-6679!